Pop Up Performance Series
Upcoming Performances - New Classical Music Series
The Roswell Music Club is a neighborhood organization in Roswell, Georgia, dedicated to presenting extraordinary classical artists in intimate settings. More information: https://www.roswellmusicclub.com
Friends of Mimosa Hall & Gardens is a registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization dedicated to preserving Mimosa Hall and promoting its use for the community. More information: https://www.friendsofmimosa.org/
Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 3:30 pm (Doors open at 3:00 pm)
Tickets: $30 (includes Hors d’oeuvres and Wine)
About Duo Catanza:
What is Catanza? When creating the name for their guitar duo, Scott and Matthias decided to use something that would be reflective of their heritage. Scott’s great grandfather immigrated to the United States from Catanzaro, Italy, which is known as the City of the Two Seas. In thinking of ways to use Catanzaro within the name of the duo, the decision was made to shorten the name to Catanza. In addition to creating a word unique to the duo, the name also highlights the word, tanz, which is German for dance. As Matthias has German heritage, amongst others, this seemed to be a perfect choice. Thus, Duo Catanza was created.
MEET THE ARTISTS OF DUO CATANZA
Scott Plato received his Bachelor’s degree in classical guitar performance from Georgia State University under the instruction of John Sutherland, a protegé of Andres Segovia. Scott then completed a Master of Music degree from Adams State University in Alamosa Colorado. In 1995 Scott founded the guitar department at Gainesville College in Gainesville Georgia and was the Head of Guitar Studies there until 2000. His book on guitar improvisation, Creating Guitar Solos, is sold worldwide. Previous collaborations have included performances with members of the Atlanta Symphony and the Atlanta Ballet Orchestra. Scott currently maintains a busy schedule as a performer and teacher in the Atlanta area and is Head of Guitar Studies at Gordon State College. In 2017 Scott released a solo CD “Sacred Music on Solo Guitar”. For sound samples visit https://scottplato.hearnow.com. He also performs in the Atlanta Guitar Trio. You can purchase his musical arrangements at Sheet Music Plus.
Matthias Young is the Director of Worship at Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church in Atlanta, GA. His skills as both a classical and rock guitarist have allowed him to build a strong music program incorporating elements of both traditional and contemporary music in worship. In addition to guitar he is an accomplished tenor, and directs both the chancel choir and praise band. In 2012, he published his first book, Metal Guitar Method, which has sold thousands, and continues to be one of the top sellers on Amazon. His online guitar lessons have helped countless students as they have garnered over a million views to date. He has also been published in the Guitar Foundation of America’s quarterly journal, Soundboard, and is a contributing author to Guitar World and Guitar Player. In 2015, he released his first album in the hard rock/metal genre, titled, Uncharted Lands, which is available on Apple Music, Spotify, and many other digital platforms. An avid composer, he is a member of ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors, & Publishers).
Also a student of John Sutherland, Matthias studied at Berry College, Georgia State University, and Boston University. He currently teaches guitar at Truett McConnell University in Cleveland, GA.
About the Pop Up Performance Series
Imagine a space for music, theatre, and dance…a place where our community gathers to enjoy a favorite band or ballet production…a destination for entertainment, inspiration, and laughter… an opportunity to showcase emerging talent and bring world-class performances to our city.
The RAF Pop Up series is the first step towards building a permanent, premium performing arts venue in Roswell with the potential to complement our robust restaurant scene, increase tourism, embody our local pride, strengthen our brand, and activate our Modern Spirit. Southern Soul.
On behalf of the City of Roswell, Roswell Arts Fund completed a three-part Performance Space Feasibility Study and presented the final results to the City on May 14th, 2018
The findings of the study, led by Webb Management and DLR Group, showed the following:
- Roswell’s unique location and character present a prime opportunity for a state-of-the-art, regionally distinct facility able to stand out and co-exhist with neighboring venues.
- High levels of income and education in addition to diversity in age and race indicate a strong potential audience for traditional and non-traditional programming.
- The potential programming could include regular performances by an in-house band or ensemble; local, regional, and national touring acts; and outside rentals.
- Market demands for a performance space are high and yet there is a clear gap in available high-quality spaces in the area.
What Make A Pop In Experience Unique?
- Diversity: Performances from a variety of genres and cultures
- Creativity: Unique opportunities in each space for merged art experiences
- Community: One of a kind living room concerts connecting you to the music, your neighbors and your surroundings
- Collaboration: World class performers alongside incredible local artists
Highlights from Past Performances
- In October 2021, we welcomed Jake Xerxes Fussell and band to our first concert under the stars at the Chattahoochee Nature Center. This Pop Up also marked our first performance that was funded in part by a grant from South Arts in partnership with the National Endowment for the Arts.
- The inaugural season of the RAF Pop Up Performance Series began with a standing room-only concert at the intimate Roswell Historic Cottage.
- Due to COVID-19, our plans changed but the show must go on and we quickly reimagined our events and transformed parking lots into safe, physically distant yet social spaces for artists and audiences.
- 1400 concert-goers joined us for in-person concerts coming from Roswell, Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Marietta, Smyrna, Decatur, and Atlanta.
- Another 2100 households tuned in for our first-ever live stream concert early in 2020.
- Headliners in 2020 included: Ed Roland (of Collective Soul), John Driskell Hopkins (of Zac Brown), Randall Bramblett Band, Acoustic Syndicate, Ruby Velle and Enrique Che (of Making Movies)